What are your favourite slot cars ?

The place for all things Slot Cars.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: What are your favourite slot cars ?

Post by Coelacanth »

dsmith wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:21 pm The auto world ones I like the best so far....
I have acquired a bunch of Auto World (modern versions of AFX Magna-Traction cars) slot cars and although the bodies are impeccable, the chassis' are significantly inferior to the originals. The wheels in particular are crap. All of them use the same wheel design from what I can tell, unlike the several designs used by the original AFX cars...and the design kind of looks like crap. They are also not easily swappable with the old axles. I also think the chassis top plate with gears is substandard, and because of the new design, you can't easily swap the top plate with older chassis' or vice versa.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

sjc115

Post by sjc115 »

I like the 1/32 scale cars. Fast, but big enough to 'drive' good, especially without magnets!

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

My Super cliffhanger nite glow Corvettes ruled the track! They had a slight edge on the Magnum 440x2 cars. The AFX Magnatraction cars had awesomely detailed bodies and were like watching the insides of a running clock (mesmerizing), but they were spinout machines next to those Corvettes.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I liked the 440x2 cars best but when the Super G+ cars came out they were a step above, you could adjust a timing ring on them.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Frankentruck wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:27 am The AFX Magnatraction cars had awesomely detailed bodies and were like watching the insides of a running clock (mesmerizing), but they were spinout machines next to those Corvettes.
That's what made them the most fun to race! Driving Magnatraction cars took skill, they weren't just point-and-shoot like the "stickier" cars. 8) And depending on the car body and tires (putting urethane tires on them makes a noticeable difference in their fishtailing), different cars had different behaviors that took a few laps to figure out their traction limits...and sideswiping your opponent off the track was more than half the fun.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:08 am
Frankentruck wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:27 am The AFX Magnatraction cars had awesomely detailed bodies and were like watching the insides of a running clock (mesmerizing), but they were spinout machines next to those Corvettes.
That's what made them the most fun to race! Driving Magnatraction cars took skill, they weren't just point-and-shoot like the "stickier" cars. 8) And depending on the car body and tires (putting urethane tires on them makes a noticeable difference in their fishtailing), different cars had different behaviors that took a few laps to figure out their traction limits...and sideswiping your opponent off the track was more than half the fun.
"Look how slowly and stylishly I can go around the track behind you" wasn't the top dog racing bragging rights that anyone in my house strived for. Us kids needed usable speed. Too many trips flying off a curve at high speed reduced the beauty of the Magnatraction car body shells. They started to take on a 'been through the car crusher' look.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

A guy was selling one of these at a flea market in Louisville this weekend.

(the pic is from eBay, not the flea market, but same thing)
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:19 am
Coelacanth wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:08 am
Us kids needed usable speed. Too many trips flying off a curve at high speed reduced the beauty of the Magnatraction car body shells. They started to take on a 'been through the car crusher' look.
I think therein lies the difference. I meant racing slot cars as an adult where you had to actually measure your trigger presses to control your car, and not just slam it and hope you had the faster motor. I remember when the AFX Lightning 2000 sets came out and the cars would climb walls and do loops, I thought that was retarded. Certainly the kids thought it was cool. By the same token, I find RC cars that hit jumps and fly 20 feet similarly ridiculous as it's far out-of-proportion to their full-scale partners. :) To each their own.

I should also point out AFX makes a more modern power supply that gives you 3 voltage options, and at the "High" setting, those Magnatraction cars go plenty fast...but alas, they indeed don't stay on the track much at that speed. :lol: