Approved Member

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by optimaforever »

Wonderful job!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Rear left transmission housing , missed a couple of details that will only take a few minutes to fix but otherwise pretty pleased .
IMG_20220428_180442_967.jpg
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Coming along now.
CHASSIS v8.png
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Looking really good. I have been 3D printing for about a year & a half but have yet to start designing my own parts. I'm gonna have to look into that Fusion 360 when I get some free time.
You may have said already, but this is a long post so I didn't dig back to see, what filament are you using for this project?

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

This is just PLA , it's not nearly strong enough to use but it's cheap and perfect for prototyping , I find you can measure all you like and it seems perfect on screen but once a part is in your hand and directly next to the original you can often see mistakes .
IMG_20220429_134804_307.jpg

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:53 am This is just PLA , it's not nearly strong enough to use but it's cheap and perfect for prototyping , I find you can measure all you like and it seems perfect on screen but once a part is in your hand and directly next to the original you can often see mistakes .
IMG_20220429_134804_307.jpg
I also use PLA for prototyping, as it is really easy to print, and it doesn't shrink: if printer is properly calibrated, it is dead easy to validate parts, and to sport the mistake. One thing I did wrong in the past was not assembling my test prints : it may not be much but half millimeter on some stuff may be a whole issue... But I guess you are doing it always as per your comments on my Nichimo thread :)
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Finished the front and rear transmission housings , a job made more confusing by my warped original chassis , it looks wrong even when it's right :lol: anyway now it's done and I have a chassis model as well I can complete the cage , once off the car and in pieces the cage is like a wet noodle , virtually impossible to measure correctly :!: But now it's going to be way easier :D

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:04 pm Finished the front and rear transmission housings , a job made more confusing by my warped original chassis , it looks wrong even when it's right :lol: anyway now it's done and I have a chassis model as well I can complete the cage , once off the car and in pieces the cage is like a wet noodle , virtually impossible to measure correctly :!: But now it's going to be way easier :D
Well. Sound like the Samurai cages : I got 3 samurai, one was missing one of the brace, and the two others are complete, and I have a brand new roll cage in plastic. I measured all of them : no consensus on the right measurements when the roll cage speaks :-). About 1.5 to 2cm deviations for some measurements... And that's also the case for other parts :-)... Don't worry too much, it will fit anyway :-)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:45 pm
Dadio wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:04 pm Finished the front and rear transmission housings , a job made more confusing by my warped original chassis , it looks wrong even when it's right :lol: anyway now it's done and I have a chassis model as well I can complete the cage , once off the car and in pieces the cage is like a wet noodle , virtually impossible to measure correctly :!: But now it's going to be way easier :D
Well. Sound like the Samurai cages : I got 3 samurai, one was missing one of the brace, and the two others are complete, and I have a brand new roll cage in plastic. I measured all of them : no consensus on the right measurements when the roll cage speaks :-). About 1.5 to 2cm deviations for some measurements... And that's also the case for other parts :-)... Don't worry too much, it will fit anyway :-)
I'm glad it's not just me that had a hard time with the Samurai chassis !

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:58 am I'm glad it's not just me that had a hard time with the Samurai chassis !
Although Japanese factories are known for long to have introduced very early Statistical Process Controls and other ways to achieve a better quality in production, either Marui did not used that, or there was still large deviations. And just to be precise, when I was having a doubt because of the range of measures, I asked @optimaforever how much he measured on his side, and he told me another value which even increased the deviation range :mrgreen: :lol: . In short, we should rely on the Nylon flexibility to help, and we have to understand what distances are really key and need to be absolutely right, and which one may not be that important... Another learning curve by itself :-D

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:11 am
Dadio wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:58 am I'm glad it's not just me that had a hard time with the Samurai chassis !
Although Japanese factories are known for long to have introduced very early Statistical Process Controls and other ways to achieve a better quality in production, either Marui did not used that, or there was still large deviations. And just to be precise, when I was having a doubt because of the range of measures, I asked @ optimaforever how much he measured on his side, and he told me another value which even increased the deviation range :mrgreen: :lol: . In short, we should rely on the Nylon flexibility to help, and we have to understand what distances are really key and need to be absolutely right, and which one may not be that important... Another learning curve by itself :-D
When you look at the reverse side of the Samurai chassis and look at the machining of the mould it looks very rough and ready , all the sectioned out areas are like granny's patchwork quilt , they don't smoothly transition but have steps , I think even the machinists had a had time making the mould :lol:

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:18 am When you look at the reverse side of the Samurai chassis and look at the machining of the mould it looks very rough and ready , all the sectioned out areas are like granny's patchwork quilt , they don't smoothly transition but have steps , I think even the machinists had a had time making the mould :lol:
And looking at the deviation range, it is even possible there was just more than one mould :)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

It's nice when things fit so well .
IMG_20220501_195240_256.jpg
IMG_20220501_195326_856.jpg
IMG_20220501_195339_763.jpg
Also modelled this MXL pulley , came out well but it's only resin printer , looks good , engages the belt
perfectly but it's not strong enough to use , good proof part and maybe I'll get a tester printed from Shapeways
IMG_20220501_195403_389.jpg
Just dropped most of these parts individually in my Shapeways shop , I'll add parts bundles soon like paired arms and trans casings etc but it all takes time .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Bit more Zerda , cage sections , took longer than I'd like to admit as the originals are soft as noodles and hard to measure , they fit well now though , the long front to back section is to long to print on my printer so I had to do it in two sections , I modelled the rear section not show hear a while ago and I compared it with these parts in Fusion 360 and they don't fit together but in real life they do because they are so flexible :lol:
IMG_20220503_201306_729.jpg
IMG_20220503_201320_898.jpg
IMG_20220503_201334_564.jpg
IMG_20220503_201345_947.jpg
IMG_20220503_201405_986.jpg

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Drew these SG Racing Coyote parts , bulkheads and the top suspension mount , just resin prints as proof parts , will be in my shop soon .
IMG_20220525_202345_551.jpg
IMG_20220525_202332_810.jpg
The eagle eyes might spot that the bulkheads are not full thickness , I dropped the prints into the bed to get a flat bottom .