The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jools
Approved Member

Schumacher Shotgun project

Post by Jools »

Schumacher Shotgun.

-Arrived in the post.

I thought it was a Cougar from the ad photo but it's a somewhat different breed of pussy, thanks Alex for ID-ing it as a Shotgun (has the 2mm rear pivot pins).
Some parts required, mainly suspension parts like ball sockets and turnbuckles. I need to get another of those nice big fat wheels/tyres (VEE-2 they're marked) which will be ideal for the rough Wombat Forest.
The "mystery lump" up front is a lead sinker so I might have to add buoyancy tanks. :lol:
NewCougarOpt.jpg
Quoting Alex:
Hey mate, looks an interesting pickup for sure 8)

Rear tower and bulkhead seems to suggest it's a Shotgun. By eye, it seems to have the older rear arms; you can confirm by checking the size of the rear inner pivot pin - 2mm pins for Shotgun/Cougar series, 1/8" pins for Cougar 2 / Storm series.

Up front, the tower is neither Storm or Shotgun stock tower... could be an intermediate varimount tower, although they generally didn't have body mount holes on the top. I'd guess tower is a Cougar 2 version, with holes drilled for the front body mounts (originally mounted to the truck front bumper.

Not having shocks makes it a little more interesting...

My guess would be it's a Shotgun by birth, but somewhere along the way, there was a fairly major front end collision, and the original owner managed to break the front tower and bumper... and when they went to get a replacement, they got a "Schumacher front shock tower". Could also have caused the loss of one front wheel....

Nothing you require is particularly difficult to procure ( :roll: :wink: :oops: ), although an original Shotgun body might not be worth shooting for. You'll want to get rid of the Kyosho MSC and second servo, and at the same time remove those home-made sheet steel servo mounts :shock: .

No idea what that lump is in front of the front shock tower, though.... GPS locator, maybe? :lol:

Happy to help get this running Jools.... always good to see an old Schuey back on it's feet (wheels?).

Alex

Retro rc

Re: Schumacher Shotgun project

Post by Retro rc »

Hey Jools,

Nice to see another old schuie getting a new lease on life!

Your truck looks to have started it’s life as an early original cougar or even a top cat and was then converted to a shotgun. You can tell as the chassis have the mounting hole for the topcat lay down shocks that only the top at and early cougars had, by the time the shotgun was released they were deleted. Shumacher released a conversion kit to go from cougar to shotgun , my first cougar went through many changes including running as a shotgun for a while.

The front tower was an upgrade for the cougar (cougar 2 pre release) it also on the cougar 2 box pictures.

I’ve got 2 rims laying around in my garage your welcome to have as I haven’t got the urge to do a shotgun yet- got too many cougar 2 works on the table as it is. Tires are still available through schumacher aswell

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Old_Cars_and_Parts/Nitro_21_XTR-3E/U6502.html

Pm me and we can sort out getting them over to you.

Cheers adrian

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Retro rc wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:32 pm Your truck looks to have started it’s life as an early original cougar or even a top cat and was then converted to a shotgun. You can tell as the chassis have the mounting hole for the topcat lay down shocks that only the top at and early cougars had, by the time the shotgun was released they were deleted.
Good pickup Adrian, I had missed that.... although to be fair, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see early Shotguns rolling out of the factory using up old Topcat pans...

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Jools
Approved Member

Post by Jools »

Adrian I'd love to get my hands on those wheels!
I've tried PM ing you a couple of times but it's just sitting in my outbox even though it shows all signs of being sent.
Perhaps you could PM me, maybe that'd work, so we can swap details,
Cheers,
Jools

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Jools wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:34 pm Adrian I'd love to get my hands on those wheels!
I've tried PM ing you a couple of times but it's just sitting in my outbox even though it shows all signs of being sent.
Perhaps you could PM me, maybe that'd work, so we can swap details,
Cheers,
Jools
And if that doesn't work Jools....
Truck.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Jools
Approved Member

Post by Jools »

Haaha Alex, and there I was worrying that the wheel and tyre might be a hens-teeth jobbie!

The good news is that though the thing appeared to be REALLY cruddy and incomplete, it's actually not bad at all, -a low-use thing. Plastics have come up almost like new with just an initial toothbrush detergent clean.
Apart from the missing wheel the only things that will stop it are x2 A095 steering turnbuckles, and - well I have some unidentified shockers that will do the job initially, They could be Schuie, (maybe I'll upgrade them later), but the ones I have don't have the extended spring holder/lower mount on the shaft that allows it to fit down into the front arms, plus the T238/T239 lower strut rosejoint mounts.

Pretty lucky really, the downside is that this build might be over too quickly!!! :P
-Jools

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Jools wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:30 pm Haaha Alex, and there I was worrying that the wheel and tyre might be a hens-teeth jobbie!

The good news is that though the thing appeared to be REALLY cruddy and incomplete, it's actually not bad at all, -a low-use thing. Plastics have come up almost like new with just an initial toothbrush detergent clean.
Apart from the missing wheel the only things that will stop it are x2 A095 steering turnbuckles, and - well I have some unidentified shockers that will do the job initially, They could be Schuie, (maybe I'll upgrade them later), but the ones I have don't have the extended spring holder/lower mount on the shaft that allows it to fit down into the front arms, plus the T238/T239 lower strut rosejoint mounts.

Pretty lucky really, the downside is that this build might be over too quickly!!! :P
-Jools
I was wondering what else might be required.... what I saw included:
- Either a front tyre and wheel with rib pattern, two tyres and a rim in any pattern (if the rib tyre is not glued), or two complete wheels and tyres
- Front turnbuckles, rod ends and ball joints for at least the steering links, with maybe a few extra for the shock tower.
- Truck front bumper
- Truck front shock mount
- At least one drive shaft
- Rear motor protector ***
- Possibly gear cover ***
- Maybe spur gear?
- Maybe another battery holder, to replace the ASSociated one
- Shock mounting screws and standoffs
- If you want to go that route, steering servo mounts
- Shocks (with possible longer lower ball joints / shock rod ends) ***
- Body :roll: ***

I can certainly help with a lot of that 8), although the parts I've marked with *** could be problematic.

I'll try and look in the box-o-Schuey junk this afternoon....

Alex

P.S. How about an Irvine .15 engine, while we're at it? :shock:
Osiris is the key.

Jools
Approved Member

Post by Jools »

Well spotted mate, - a few of those things I already have, left over from my Procat and Cougar restorations, -which is cool I reckon.
Here's what I NEED, (this NEED list is a bit shorter, which is "bonza"):

- Two complete wheels and tyres. (Prob spikes might be best up here in the dirt, but I really don't mind either way).
- Front turnbuckles, (I'm pretty right for the rod ends and ball links I think, but I'll check).
- Another battery holder.
- Front shock-mount rosejoints T238/T239 (lower front strut mounts)
- Long type shock shaft mounts that allow fitting down into the Lower Arms.

The following I can live without but might be nice later:
- Truck front bumper
- Gear cover ***
- Shocks (with possible longer lower ball joints / shock rod ends) *** I'll see what it's like with my 'mix 'n match shockers initially, unless someone has suitable ones surplus to requirements.
- Body :roll: ***

It might be nice to have a stock body, but initially I might fit my Whitt Original fibreglass moulded one that I made years ago.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Jools,

Here's what yesterday's junk scrounge uncovered...
Parts1.jpg
- Two very nice condition VEE-2 tyres with good condition rims
- Two usable VEE-4 tyres, if you would like to try them free
- Cougar / Shotgun front tower
- Truck front bumper
- Four new 'rose joints', two slightly smaller than the other (T238 / T239)
- Near new complete battery holder
- Two pair front tie rods, one pair 55.5mm and one pair 60mm
- Hi-Po lightweight ( :lol: ) TopCat rear motor mount
- If required, more new rod ends.

No chance of gear covers, I think I'll be picking up some re-re TC ones soonish. Tyres are a real issue, as a lot of the ones I showed over the past few days have rotted... including some that have not been used! :( :roll:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

Jools
Approved Member

Post by Jools »

One of the (few) bodges found on this little beauty.

This is the spur gear, - the P.O. has done a 'conversion' using that alloy adaptor plate. Co-incidentally I had in stock an 87t gear which fitted the adaptor plate almost perfectly.
It would work, but I'm not 100% happy with it, and would like to go back to Schuie 'standard' (with your help Alex!)
0982optPinion1.jpg
0980pinion2.jpg
As you can see the gear was held on with x3 circlips. (Well, in for a penny in for a pound I guess !)
I want to get lowish gearing due to the rough slowish terrain up here in the woods, so a 19t x lots of t will give me a starting point.

The plastics on this car have cleaned up almost like new, most things are in nice condition so it'll be a cool thing when finished.
Co-incidentally, yesterday at a local Swap-meet I found a pretty cool complete running low hours ($30) 4WD HSP 'Tyrannosaurus' which has a perfect body for the Shotgun, (I'll stick it on "what the postman brought me" topic)
and I still have the option of my fibreglass moulded body.
Sometimes life is kind... (But I'm not holding my breath).

Retro rc

Post by Retro rc »

Sorry guys been away for a few days with no access

looks like Alex has most of what you need in 1 hit👌🏼

The gear cover is an easy fix to find and so are original spurs as the top cat rere parts are a straight fit for that matter basically the whole rear end except for the hub carriers will work.

Jools
Approved Member

Post by Jools »

Here's the Shotgun/Cougar 'project' pretty close to finished (rivet counters may pick a few non-original screws of course).
An exceedingly large dollop of thanks to Alex who generously came up with some missing parts for me, and also to nephew Sean in Washington DC who was kind enough to send the shagged basket-case to me from the USA -the seller wouldn't ship outside the states - I'm in Australia. (But the little *ugger won't send me his details so I can reimburse the postage to Oz cost).
I might have to bring the Testicle-Clamp into play next time I see him.
Anyway, I haven't run the car yet but I expect it to be entertaining. Looking at that original pic (down the page) you'd have thought it was really lunched, but actually most of the plastics cleaned up really well. Enjoyable project which actually went pretty easily in the end!

I just picked up another toy car needing TLC the other day, 1:1 scale but !

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

That has cleaned up very nicely Jools....

Quick note regarding the rear shock tower setup... if you can move the shocks to the outermost hole, you can then mount the body mount post blocks so the posts can be vertical, which could be a lot easier to mount a body with a flatter rear section. Oh, and the rear shocks are upside down :wink: :P :roll:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

Jools
Approved Member

Post by Jools »

That's a Plan mate...

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Holy smokes! The truck looks NEW. What a transformation -- well done sir. 8)
I've only one experience restoring an old CAT but these things seem to hold up very well - i.e. after some time spent with a tooth brush and some dish soap, there's very little signs remaining of use or abuse. Perhaps this stands as a testament to the quality of materials used by Schumacher?
Doug