1/8 buggy to 1/10 SCT conversion

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Blacktiger355
Approved Member

Re: 1/8 buggy to 1/10 SCT conversion

Post by Blacktiger355 »

I have the hobby wing 150a in the Mugen and love it. Has held up well and runs great.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

I have the hobby wing 150a in the Mugen and love it.
The Xerun I presume? What motor?

I have the Xerun 150 in my Tamiya truggy, and I agree-they are fantastic. It's pushing a Beeman 2150KV sensored can with a 16T pinion on 4S, have about a 45 MPH top speed and can pull wheelies with only 20K in the center diff of the 9.99 pound truggy!

I also have another HW SC8WP in my Prolite, running the 2,000 KV Orion Vortex 1/8 motor on 3S, a 60A EZ run in the wife's B3 pushing a 9T 540 and an EZrun SC10 ESC with 10T motor in my RC10T.

Hobbywing is actually the only brand of ESC I have never had a problem with.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

'round here you can only run 2s in 4x4sc.

i'd love to convert my rc8be into a sc truck, BECAUSE YES 1/8 PARTS ARE MUCH STRONGER.

sometimes i'll run the buggy outside with the 4x4 sc's and it's no contest on 4s. i'd like to try the conversion but if it ends up too heavy to compete on 2s then it's not worth it to me.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

i'd like to try the conversion but if it ends up too heavy to compete on 2s then it's not worth it to me.
I'm going to keep playing around with gearing and motors to see if 2S is workable. With the 2100KV 1/8 can and 15T pinion, way too slow up top. I tried a Reedy SL550 3,500 KV in it (also with 15T pinion), and while it performed almost as well as the 1/8 can on 3S, the draw is too high, and it hit low voltage cut-off after about 20 seconds of hard running, has to sit a minute before it'll scoot again. This happened with 2 different batteries; a 5,000 mAh 50-100C and an 8,000 mAh 40-80C.

I'm gonna see how the 2,100 can does on 2S with a 17T or 18T pinion, but I'm also thinking I'll try out one of the larger 4 pole 550 cans (Reedy 550SL is 4 pole, but only 55mm length) with a rating closer to 3,000 KV. I know there are plenty of guys who run 4 pole 550 motors in 1/8 scale, but it's definitely a little more sensitive.

Alternately, if your local SC class restricts to 2S but doesn't care if you're running a 1/8 size motor, there are a few higher KV 700 series cans that might work well on 2S. 2,650 KV is the highest I've seen in a true 1/8 can, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone knew of a 2,800-3,000 unit.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i think it needs a 550 can, not the big 1/8. something like a 4.5t 550.

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

hey, just wanted to chime in and apologize for any misunderstandings or how my posts came across. I just wanted you to know I was not trolling or trying to goad you. I hope that you accept my apology because I came to this forum because of the people here and the wicked stuff they come up with. Im here to learn as well as contribute knowledge and hope that you dont think I was putting you down or questioning your skill. Like alot of peeps on here im sure your quite talented, as shown by the motor mount you machined. Once again im sorry for offending you and hope to get back on the right foot.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Well, finally got a chance to run it on the indoor clay track. Since the photos, I had swapped out the Panther tires on OFNA wheels for M3 Calibers on DE Borrego wheels (better looking and not so obviously 1/8 scale). It did very well. It was an absolute monster on 4S, but matched the track pretty well on 3S. Still needed virtually no run-up to clear jumps, but at least it wasn't totally out of control under heavy throttle. It cornered very well, drifted nicely when I wanted it to, and once I got used to running it, the mid-air responsiveness of 1/8 scale really shined. One thing was for certain; at 8.4 lbs, when another SCT tried to steal my line, it was no contest!

One poor soul did get clobbered by it, but hey-if you run out on the track to flip another car over and pay no attention to what's coming your way, good chance you'll get hit. In his case, he stood up and took a step backwards right as I was leaving the jump. I nailed the brake and nosed it, so he got nothin' but body-no bumper, wheel or chassis impact. I'm sure it didn't feel good, though.

Anyway, I now have 12 or 13 packs through this critter, and absolutely nothing has broken except that I did finally rip the Prolite bumper off the front of it, so it now wears a Slash bumper, which I was able to affix much more securely to the chassis itself:

So despite the fact that I can't race it in any sanctioned event, I am very happy with the vehicle. Fast, tough, and agile describe it well.
Once again im sorry for offending you and hope to get back on the right foot.
No worries

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

OK, guys-need opinions. Which looks better/more suited to the vehicle/less 1:8 scale?

The DE Racing Borrego wheels:

Or the Proline Split Six:

I do have solid black cap style nuts en route, too:

Last question; truck is gonna need a new body real soon. HPI Scorpion:

Or Parma Speedflo:

Blacktiger355
Approved Member

Post by Blacktiger355 »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:
I have the hobby wing 150a in the Mugen and love it.
The Xerun I presume? What motor?

I have the Xerun 150 in my Tamiya truggy, and I agree-they are fantastic. It's pushing a Beeman 2150KV sensored can with a 16T pinion on 4S, have about a 45 MPH top speed and can pull wheelies with only 20K in the center diff of the 9.99 pound truggy!

I also have another HW SC8WP in my Prolite, running the 2,000 KV Orion Vortex 1/8 motor on 3S, a 60A EZ run in the wife's B3 pushing a 9T 540 and an EZrun SC10 ESC with 10T motor in my RC10T.

Hobbywing is actually the only brand of ESC I have never had a problem with.

Sorry I forgot about this, been busy. Yes the Xerun 150, and I am running a Team Orion MR8 1950kv. Plenty of power for the heavy Mugen.

And for a body, the HPI bodies for the Blitz seem to fit well for a converted 8th scale. They cover the wheels a bit more.