After a 26 year wait...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Re: After a 26 year wait...

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

gomachv wrote:Gold is firm and silver is soft
You know, I probably could have found that answer on the manual...

Thanks Gomachv...

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

You must have one heck of a game face. If I saw that I would have been smiling from ear to ear and would have never noticed.

Aside from blowing some small bits of dirt off, I see no reason to do any work to this RC-10 time capsule.

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

Seeing I went for another car, I as able to offer him a little less than he asked. It saved him from having to deal with selling another thing on craigslist, and I got to play the role of "If you go down a little on the price, I will take it , even though I wasn't necessarily coming for this car..."

As for the plan, I have to live with it for a bit. I don't see any need to re-anodize the tub. I am torn between trying to find metal replacement/hop up parts, and installing a clear body to show off the beauty, or keeping it stock, and installing a "box-art" body.

I purchased some of Chris (Rogue Element Components) knock offs for the car weirdly enough, just incase I happen to find one some day. So, I am hoping he will do some wheels as well (when he is back on his feet). If he does not do some wheels, I will have to track down a set of Lohas ones.

So, one thing is for sure, I will have some fancy wheels/tires. I would like to reuse the tires, but dunno what might happen during removal. Those fronts have no lettering, which is odd?

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Timmy2Tracks wrote:
slotcarrod wrote:
The tires look like they don't have any lettering on the sides. Is this true?

There is no lettering on either front or rear tires. I don't remember finding anything about the 4-rib front tires without lettering. Is this uncommon?
I'm thinking so! I never knew this and would love to know so I can add that information to the 25 Year thread! If anyone has any other info on this and a rough time line, that would be great!

tommy2c
Approved Member

Post by tommy2c »

FWIW, I bought my car early 87. Box and motor are labeled Edinger but most parts are Cadillac era. I think the only ones from Edinger era are the non-slotted spring cups. The tires have no lettering.

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

tommy2c wrote:FWIW, I bought my car early 87. Box and motor are labeled Edinger but most parts are Cadillac era. I think the only ones from Edinger era are the non-slotted spring cups. The tires have no lettering.
Thanks Tommy2c. I noticed on this car the rear shock spring cups are not capturing the spring, but there are non-slotted spring cups in both front and rear. This guy must have been one of the later models to leave the Edinger address. Seeing they were a small company, I am sure there is not a clear time when certain parts were switched to newer ones.

I do find this all very interesting though, and love the timeline thread.

I really love the backstory of the vintage stuff (especially the small companies at the time, like Associated) and love to piece together the history of a car. I have been very lucky to have purchased and met the original owners of all of my vintage RC's. Hearing their backstories and how they were assembled/run/treated is worth a lot to me. I cannot see myself selling any of these particular RC's.

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Very nice find! It looks to be in better shape than most things I've seen on ebay.
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

Russ Winn wrote:Very nice find! It looks to be in better shape than most things I've seen on ebay.
Thanks Russ. I really want to disassemble and get cleaning and refurbishing, but I have to be patient and gather up everything I need first. It's not like I already don't have enough RC projects that are being neglected.

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

...and, of course, I start poking my nose around and come across this guy locally...

Someone never painted the interior.

Speedworks motor, never used.

10-9-1990

Dirty.

Not bad, but not new...

Strange place for pitting...

Spiked tires are unused. Bolink ones, used.

Body, poor.

This one will benefit greatly from a cleaning. I think that I will do the Edinger car in box-art stock form, and apply as many metal bits/hop-ups as I can on this Cadillac. What do you all think? Junk, or a worthwhile project?

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

the pitting is from rocks/gravel kicking up off the front tires hitting the chassis....BTW...looks great.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

slotcarrod wrote:
Timmy2Tracks wrote:
slotcarrod wrote:
The tires look like they don't have any lettering on the sides. Is this true?

There is no lettering on either front or rear tires. I don't remember finding anything about the 4-rib front tires without lettering. Is this uncommon?
I'm thinking so! I never knew this and would love to know so I can add that information to the 25 Year thread! If anyone has any other info on this and a rough time line, that would be great!
that's one of those late edinger things. i'd have to look back at some old pics, but the one i had with plain sidewalls still had the small diameter shock cap gaskets.

EDIT: i looked back at timmy's pics and his has the small gaskets too. this was mine.
rc10%205.jpg
rc10%202.jpg

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Awesome this is a great thread and your enthusiasm is fun to read and see the collection increasing! I agree that even with the drilling I would keep that Edinger for the shelf and this new one to knock around with.

I am about to pass on an A stamp I got on Craigslist to a new owner and have had several Craigslist finds pass through my hands since joining this forum, realizing that I really enjoy disassembling and cleaning them up trying to right a few of the wrongs they have suffered. If I held onto them all I would quickly run out of room (the trophy/display case is already full of four shelfers, I don't want to buy another case because I know I would fill it up!).

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

that's one of those late edinger things. i'd have to look back at some old pics, but the one i had with plain sidewalls still had the small diameter shock cap gaskets.

EDIT: i looked back at timmy's pics and his has the small gaskets too. this was mine.
rc10%205.jpg
rc10%202.jpg
[/quote]

That's good to know. Late Edinger it is! Nice to learn a bit more about this car. Thanks.

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

flipwils11 wrote:Awesome this is a great thread and your enthusiasm is fun to read and see the collection increasing! I agree that even with the drilling I would keep that Edinger for the shelf and this new one to knock around with.

I am about to pass on an A stamp I got on Craigslist to a new owner and have had several Craigslist finds pass through my hands since joining this forum, realizing that I really enjoy disassembling and cleaning them up trying to right a few of the wrongs they have suffered. If I held onto them all I would quickly run out of room (the trophy/display case is already full of four shelfers, I don't want to buy another case because I know I would fill it up!).
Thanks for the kind words. My case is already full! I have another truck coming, so I don't need another RC-10, but that being said, if I found a never run car, I could make room...

Are you referring to the circular scraping (drilling) marks? It is a shame about that, but I guess it tells the story of the car. You don't see any "aftermarket" holes in either chassis, do you?

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Oops no, I saw the cap head screws protruding underneath and thought those were new holes drilled or something.