Schumacher Axis SST - resurrected

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Schumacher Axis SST - resurrected

Post by DerbyDan »

So my local club have been invited to put on a display/arrive & drive type thing at one of Europe's largest car shows for Japanese cars.... JAE, being held at Wicksteed Park in the home town of the club - Kettering Model Car Club.

Our club normally race on-road touring cars indoors in a sports hall but the area that has been 'ear-marked' for us is some rather rough tarmac & a bit of grass... luckily many of us also race 1-10th buggies so we will probably do some kind of rally cross style racing - mixing the grass with the tarmac. But being a Japanese car show the organisers are putting up a prize for a drifting competition.... so rather than scratch-up & ruin my Corally racer - I decided to get one of my old touring cars up & running to drift spec' :D

Anyway this is my old Schumacher Axis - that I raced when I was a 'B' team driver in the late 90s, this car replaced a 98' SST & probably did one season of National series TC racing with the odd club meet & Schumacher BTCC series race. The car is in great condition... but the decision to use this car hinged on the fact that I had already sprayed up the 200mm wide HPI Skyline shell that had already been drilled to fit the SST.

Onto the pics;

The electrics are all old brushed stuff that I had lying around, the Novak ESC came with a 'Lot' of JRX2 parts & cars that I got from Holland & was pleased that it works great!

The motor is an 11 double so should have plenty of grunt!! This was a control mod motor used for the Corally STCC series here in the UK that both myself & Jammin competed in. My Axis has quite a few upgrade - in fact I think the only part missing from the Speed Secrets list is the lower carbon plate, one interesting upgrade is the adjustable one-way layshaft.

Other upgrades include alloy housings including the one-peice lower one for the front.

HPI Skyline shell - I think this is the sleeker 'GTS' rather than the GTR?

CAT3K
Approved Member

Re: Schumacher Axis SST - resurrected

Post by CAT3K »

That's a cool car 8) I used to race the SST99 Pro before it was replaced by my last touring car, the Mission.

I've never tried drifting, but it does look quite skillful. Vids of the event if possible please :wink:

Paul.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

CAT3K wrote:That's a cool car 8) I used to race the SST99 Pro before it was replaced by my last touring car, the Mission.

I've never tried drifting, but it does look quite skillful. Vids of the event if possible please :wink:

Paul.
I've never tried drifting either lol! But i've had those Yokomo drift tyres for ages but never used them.... they sure were a pig to mount on those graphite wheels!!

I'm not sure if the car before my Axis may have been a 99' not a 98? I must admit Schumacher were releasing a new variant every month back then!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I like it! I don't know the first thing about RC drifting but that's a pretty sweet on-road car & body. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

DerbyDan wrote:I'm not sure if the car before my Axis may have been a 99' not a 98? I must admit Schumacher were releasing a new variant every month back then!
I "think" the SST2000 (1997'ish?) was the first.. but i'm really not 100% on that.

And i know what you mean about the quick changes too, there was the SST2000, SST99 Pro, SST Sport, SST Axis and SST Axis2 all within a couple of years :lol: And i think there were even a few chassis variations on the same models.

Paul.

geeforce59
Approved Member

Post by geeforce59 »

Very Nice..... :D :) :wink:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

awesome axis! i had 2 bitd, one setup for stock 27t, one for mod, i had bought them barely used from a team guy in the US and they were fully decked out just like yours... i dont think i have evr broken a SINGLE part (except blades)even though they went throug a couple of dozen races.. schumacher plastics were the best!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

the 148s wont be up to the task though... :lol:

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Lonestar wrote:the 148s wont be up to the task though... :lol:

Paul
Actually the 148 was ok!! :shock: ..... we used to hot-wire these Bitd (solder the red power lead direct to the 7.2v supply rather than 6v through the RX) when we couldn't afford a decent 'quick' servo :D

No video footage i'm afraid from the weekends activities of this car in action - but the car did performance OK, I struggled a bit with the drifting - the area that we were given to run our cars on consisted of a small area of rather bumpy tarmac & some grass areas at each end which allowed us to run an on-road track with the option to go off onto the grass section with a buggy. The bumps kept upsetting any nice drifts that I got going on - dialing in some neg camber helped things but then made it less predicatable to hold real sideways slides & the car would generally just spin all the way round :| Some of the other club members (including the clubs hire car that was on offer for 'punters') had drift 'specced' their cars but had fully moulded plastic tyres mounted on wheels where as my 'Yokomo' drift tyres are a plastic 'band' mounted over rubber, with the rubber projecting out each side (hence the sensitivity to camber I guess) - the 'other' guys wheels were a lower offset giving more track width - which must help with stability?

One thing I must say was that it was good fun - suprisingly addictive considering the slow speeds involved & my old active prooved reliable despite the bumpy & dusty conditions 8)