stupid question

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: stupid question

Post by Lonestar »

Hillbillyrcer wrote:well i have found another. is the trinity twister motor lathe anygood? i found one for 60.00 bucks with slave motor and dimond bit. should i go for it? Thanks

The twister is the best lather ever - legendary stuff.

V-blocks all the way, although I have bearings on my Hudy-made GM eXtreme and it still provides a stunning quality cut.

Carbide bits work, are cheaper, but finnickier to use than diamond bits. Diamond bits will last forever as long as you don't hit/drop them inadvertently. Carbide bits need to be sharpened are the results are a bit more random. If you can afford the diamond bit, go for it. I still use the same bit I bought in 98.

If you need a lathing expert, try to talk to John Stranahan, I'm sure he's still on rctech. He's the expert in the matter and I learnt it all from him last millenium ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

OK, thanks for the info. I do remember those large comm Reedy motors, but these are all standard sizes.

I will stick with the carbide bit for now; it's not for racing or anything, just for keeping motors for a lot of cars in decent shape. If I didn't have so many I would unload all my brushed motors and ESCs and go brushless, but it's still just too expensive.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Took the calipers to a few last night, looks like they can all take at least a few cuts. One really work motor had about .015" smaller center diameter, but I will try and take it down to about .265 or so and see if it can be resurrected.

Now I just need a way to wear in some brushes without having to run them in the motor and put some wear on the comm. Without buying a dedicated brush cutting tool (new anyway).

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Cool, my Hudy Pro came today. Looks in great shape, lots of copper shavings but everything is nice and snug. I stripped it down, cleaned it, rebuilt it, and it seems to be pretty good. Tight tolerances, so lubricant makes a big difference. I look forward to trying it.