=why do you love the rc10?=

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

=why do you love the rc10?=

Post by badhoopty »

how about everybody tell the reason why you are into the vintage rc10 buggies and trucks?

when i was in 6th or 7th grade, there was a local hobby shop in my town that had the typical tamiyas on display, but they also had one, single rc10 converted to a sprint car. i went down there all the time after school and just stood there at the counter gawking at it. it got so bad the owner kicked me out. i remember just being overwhelmed by that sprintcar, i drew pictures of it, dreamed of having it, and just really really wanted one, i even tried to make a model of one out of clay in art class...

anyway, after pestering my mom to no end, i got a #6010 rc10 for christmas my 8th grade year. i remember trying to put it all together that night but not having a dad around (who could have helped me or at least would have had tools i could use) i only got so far before i needed some help from somebody who had access to more than a butterknife and some visegrips.

so, with some help from my moms much younger boyfriend at the time i had the rc10 up and running in a few days. it BLEW AWAY all the other kids rc's in the nieghborhood right out of the box. my buddies mugen bulldog was no comp, my other friends tamiya brat was a joke compared to the rc10, and i very much remember racing this kid who had a hornet with some famed technicolor motor in it who thought it was the fastest thing around. there was alot of smack talk in school about who would win, and the day when we raced them down the street my little stock rig blew the doors off that hornet with just about every kid in town as a witness. to this day its still one of my proudest moments.

but being a very poor kid of a hard-working single mother, i didnt have alot of resources or knowledge on maintaining the little guy and i simply couldnt afford normal bashing costs and really didnt know how to properly maintain it, and pretty soon it was beat up and neglected... about a year later traded it for an '87 haro sport freestyle bike. (pretty good trade, i still wish i had that bike). then came my 16 birthday, and my real car and all those girlies i could give rides in it were all i thought about.

anyway, flash forward to about 7 years ago. i had just started a career in advertising and finally started making money. one day i found out about ebay, and for some reason typed in 'rc10' in the ebay search...

i ended up getting back into the hobby with an rc10gt i bought off ebay. the black tub version loaded with mip hopups. not knowing anything about gas rigs it took me a good week of yanking on the pull start after work to just get the darn thing going, but after that initial putter putter WHAAAA!!!! of the engine i figured things out pretty fast. i bought another rc10gt, and bashed the both of them for a summer before i started thinking of the older electric rc10s like i had when i was younger.

anyway, after i got used to the gas powered gt's i started thinking about getting an older buggy again to convert into a sprint car like the one i used to obsess over.

after quite awhile of searching ebay for parts, i put this together:

and while the gt's brought me back into the hobby, it was really building the sprint car, and the nurturing of my inner child as a result, that got me so into the old buggies again. funny thing is i havent driven a buggy since that first one i got way back in the 8th grade. i'll buy one off ebay with the intentions of making it a runner but soon after i get it cleaned up to my satisfaction i shelve it and start looking for another ebay 'runner'... :wink:

Spiderman
Approved Member

Post by Spiderman »

Awsome sprint car man!
Love the wheels and tires!

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

Spiderman wrote:Awsome sprint car man!
thats it? no story on how you came to love the rc10???

:evil:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Short answer: Because it RULES!

Longer answer: My first real RC was the Tamiya Fox. I loved that car, and drove the snot out of it. Then a local RC club formed, racing onroad oval. Most of the racers were racing lowered RC10's. I wanted one really bad, as the Fox wasn't keeping us so well. Well, just about that time the JRX2 was introduced, and it was a big improvement over the RC10 that was available at that time, so I got the Losi. I always liked the gold tub and design of the RC10's. Even the carbon and every other version that came along. Finally I got my mint gold tub off ebay about 4 years ago. Put some aluminum stock wheel halves on, and an aluminum wing, ran it a few times and put it on the shelf out of fear of scratching the tub. Since I've owned quite a few of the vintage RC10's, a B4 and a T4, which are also great cars. Sold most of those, and right now I'm down to my shelfer and one runner which is pretty well modified with some nice aftermarket parts. Probably should shelf this runner before it becomes a beater, and build a purpose built beater. I don't know, I'm pretty good at not hurting my cars, and it's a shame to build nice things to collect dust. Anyway, that's the long story. 8)

Spiderman
Approved Member

Post by Spiderman »

badhoopty wrote:
Spiderman wrote:Awsome sprint car man!
thats it? no story on how you came to love the rc10???

:evil:
LOL.......just waiting for the forum to get orginized and I'm feeling kinda lazy tonight...........I would like to post some pics tho...... :(

ok let me get some coffee and I'll start... :wink:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

well here's my story. i got my first real rc in 87, or early 88. i was about ten or so. it was a midnight pumpkin. i still got it, still runnin strong. i played around a few years ( honning my driving skills :lol: ). imet up with a guy who got me into dirt oval racing in 1991. i bought a jrxt and ran in the truck class. i raced all over eastern pa and a few tracks in nj. while racing the truck, all of the edm drivers had rc10s. i always wanted to run with the big boys. they were always so fast and smooth. i would always love corner marshalling for them. seeing a pack of 8 or 10 of them going through the corners with the back ends hangin out was just awesome to me. so, i just had to get one. after a year of good sucsess in the truck class, i bought a rc10 graphite team car, still got this one too. i raced the car in pretty much stock form up until about 94-95. at that time, i bought a raborn lto chassis for it. then in 99, i retired the car from its racing duty and i built a kranzels terminator rc10 conversion. i got a gold chassis from a friend of mine a few years ago. i built it up with parts i have accumulated over the years. just waiting to build up another trans, and i'll have a good runner. this one is gonna be a buggy. i have never ran an rc10 as a buggy, so it'll be fun :)

Spiderman
Approved Member

My RC10 History

Post by Spiderman »

Well back in the early 80's I was at the mall,went into a hobby store and there in the show case what do I see........a Frog!
I thought that was the coolest looking RC I'd ever seen,ya know the shocks and knobby tires and stuff,to bad I couldn't afford it!
Found a track to check out in my area,bought a used frog from a guy there for $80 with no electrics...lol.
I raced this frog alot..it was my pride and joy! Then a few RC10's started showing up.....they must have just came out!
I remember this like it was yesterday,there was a small diameter pvc pipe running across the side entrance to the track and I would watch these RC10's go across that pipe, the front suspension would look cool as chit when they went across that......I was in love!
So I purchased me a RC10,built it in one night......man that was fun!
I remember thinking how neat the tranny was with the ball diff on the outside.
I raced for many years,bought every hopup or updated kit that came out.
I raced sprint oval and buggy offroad.
We used a norrowed RC10 graphite chassis with the stealth tranny and the cage was Kyosho sideways sprint car.
Never ran any aluminum on our sprint cars.......bends to easy and much heavier than the sideways nylon cage.
My love for the RC10 is from the history I have with it,Plus it was light years ahead of anything raceable when it came out!
My goal now is to build all the custom versions of this car,different tranny's,suspension and such..........that weren't race worthy at the time,kinda like a RC10 history museum... :lol:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

I love it because it takes these really wierd people away from Clodtalk!!! At least NOW we have a place we can keep an eye on them.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Electrohacker
Approved Member

Post by Electrohacker »

I bought a huge lot of vehicles off ebay for a kid and he backed out of the deal... I have since been stuck with an RC10, RC10T, and RC10L... while I plan to get rid of the L and one other I have grown attached and will end up keeping one... I'm not sure which one to keep between the RC10 and the T, so I'll let fate decide

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: My RC10 History

Post by badhoopty »

Spiderman wrote:My goal now is to build all the custom versions of this car,different tranny's,suspension and such..........that weren't race worthy at the time,kinda like a RC10 history museum... :lol:
oh boy. just wait 'till you see what i got cookin'!

Spiderman
Approved Member

Re: My RC10 History

Post by Spiderman »

badhoopty wrote:
Spiderman wrote:My goal now is to build all the custom versions of this car,different tranny's,suspension and such..........that weren't race worthy at the time,kinda like a RC10 history museum... :lol:
oh boy. just wait 'till you see what i got cookin'!
I be waiting 8)

jjacobsn
Approved Member

Post by jjacobsn »

Back in the 80's, I got my first RC, a Tamiya Hornet and I bashed the heck out of it. I almost actually got turned off to RC because the local hobby shop was so expensive and charged a fortune for parts. Fortunately, a friend of mine got an RC10. From the moment I saw it I knew I needed one. I had to wait almost a year till my Birthday when I finally got my RC10. I worked really hard to build it up right and then for the next 6 years or so drove it, worked on it and modded it. It went from buggy to Carpet oval racer, to Monster truck and back to buggy again. Although I accumulated several other RCs (including a Clod) in that time and discovered the wonderful prices of Tower Hobbies, my RC10 was always my favorite. I remember reading RC magazines and rooting for an RC10 to win at the National races. Gradually in High School and then in College my interest and available time for RCs faded and they all ended up in boxes in my parents basement. Then about 2 years ago my brother got himself a Clod. Years after college, leaving my parenets house and working in the "real world", all of a sudden my interest in RC was rekindled. I broke out my old Clod and started to get into it again. As soon as I got back into I ordered myself a new B4 kit and built it up. It's definately amazing where htese cars have gone, but how many of the players in the industry are the same. Well, 2 years later I have accumulated numerous new Rcs, and have gone back and pulled all the old ones out of boxes. Which has now led me to several projects to take place in the future, including a few RC10 projects. Well, there you have it, my RC10 story.