RC10 Rescues

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dahlelama
Approved Member

RC10 Rescues

Post by dahlelama »

OK...Into the wayback machine.... I soooooo wanted an RC10 back in the day (I can use that phrase because I am from 'back in the day'). Tamiya Frogs and Hornets were all the rage and I had a Marui Hunter when the RC10 came out. I was a po' kid and I worked hard washing dishes at a local restaurant saving up money so I too could join the Gold Tub Club. Then the Yokomo hit the scene. I saved more bucks and bought a Yoke instead of the 10. I never got an RC10 but have always wanted one.

Fast forward to now.... I re-discovered RC racing a few years ago and in 2009 I opened an RC Hobbies shop. Now, RC10's seem to find me. Regularly folks come in to the shop with some RC car they got from an uncle or at a garage sale or craigslist or wherever with requests for us to help "make it work" or "do you have parts for this old car" and "do you take trades?". I'm suprised at how often these second hand RC's are RC10's. It's not always pretty as some of these little guys have had a pretty rough life. Regardless, no matter what the condition, I gladly offer to take the little cars in and give them a home at the RC-Hobbies RC10 Rescue Society.

I'd like to introduce a few of these 'rescues' to the fine folks at RC10Talk.

I think there are 5 or 6 10T's running around in the back room... This one was adopted last week and came with a box that is like new, MSC still in its parts bag, manual, Associated catalog and an uncut decal sheet.

Early Graphite car. AE is engraved into the chassis. I dont know much about these graphite rigs. It was offered to me in trade for shop labor to get the previous owners old TMAXX .15 repaired. No brainer on that trade.

Not one but two brand new Green Chassis wandered in one day. I traded a beat 1/5th scale sprint car for these two sweethearts. The previous owner had built out a couple kits and used these green chassis for the build. Neither has ever been run. Brand new clear bodies, kit boxes and manuals for the kits came with them.

What a creampuff this one is. All original, swaybars, mechanical speedo, motor with no sticker on the can.

I think this one is my favorite. I didnt know it was anything but a nice clean RC10 when I got it. Later I found out it was an Edinger car. Pale gold chassis, those large rear shock spring retainers, with orginal box (Edinger Address), mechanical speedo, all documentation in killer shape and even a receipt from 1985. Got the Leisure charger and Airtronics stick radio with it as well (both on the receipt) I traded a brand new RTR Losi Strike SC truck for this one. "Good Trade" is an understatement :)

This isnt an exhaustive list of the residents of RCH RC10 Ranch. Some drilled and hacked tubs call the shop home now too. But even with hacked up chassis and missing parts these ones are special in their own regard... MIP trannies, Belt drive trannies, CRP goodies, nerf bars, metal steering knuckles, Kyosho shocks....

In just over a year I went from zero RC10's to this little herd and on the cheap too. Pretty cool eh?

BTW - great site! So much excellent info on here!

Eric
DahlELama
Yeah... I'm that stupid.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Rescues

Post by RedScampi »

Way cool and welcome to the forum from another northwesterner! I have family in Caldwell - maybe I'll get in to see your collection sometime. Throw those cars in a display case!
Gary

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Welcome to the forum! I'm very new around here having joined in Feb/March and I'm having too much fun reliving my 80's youth. These are great pics and stories on the cars. Love the green chassis ones you got! Can you share some of the other stories and pics, and keep us updated as they come in?

Also, this would be a great group of folks certified to give them good adopted homes should you decide to sell any on the classifieds area. Also since you have a hobby shop and are sympathetic to the old school RC10's, can we contact you to buy stuff (are you willing to ship)?

greene-r74
Approved Member

Post by greene-r74 »

I wouldn't mind giving a 10t a good home. Nice score on the Edinger car. I picked up one last weekend and am pretty excited about getting it restored.

TZona
Approved Member

Post by TZona »

those are really cool. i had a hunter too i think it was my third rc, my rc10 came in at number 5 i think

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

That is Such the cool collection to see. I know iv touched them all..Good to see you finally show off your stuff bro...

sneako43
Approved Member

Post by sneako43 »

PM on the High Life car.
SC10 -- FT B4.1

allaircooled
Approved Member

Post by allaircooled »

I envy you. :mrgreen: You have some nice ones there. When your shop gets full and you need someone to adopt them please let me know. :lol:

sneako43
Approved Member

Post by sneako43 »

I forgot to say 'you are one lucky guy'. Another example of a super find(s) that happen all too often to people...except me! I need to hit up more flea markets and garage sales....
SC10 -- FT B4.1

dahlelama
Approved Member

Post by dahlelama »

OK.. this I gotta share with you guys. Like I said in my original post, people come in quite regularly with some 'old RC car' that they'd like to sell or trade or whatever. Check out this little darling that walked into the shop yesterday.

A complete MRP GP12 with a JoMac Commando Mach 3 Transmitter! Thats also the original kit box and inside the box was the manual, registration card, some spares and business card from Sheldons Hobbies in San Jose CA. A hard shell Barracuda body too. There was even a transit pass in the kit box. The owner probably took the bus or rail down to Sheldons to race it.

And check out that ESC! Thats gotta be one of the the earliest R/C electronic speed controls produced. The mechanical speed control is still new in the package.

I wasn't there at the time but one of my employees adopted it but I dont think he has any intention of holding on to it. Wish I would've been there at the time. Very cool little R/C time capsule.

e.
DahlELama
Yeah... I'm that stupid.

dahlelama
Approved Member

Post by dahlelama »

Local guy came in to the shop last night and traded me this DS for one of the 10T's. SWEET! I didnt have a DS! Now I do and this one is in awesome shape.

A couple more 10T's.
Chassis has a pretty gnarly bend in this one.. Other than that all the goods are there.

Great flamin' donut holes Batman... this is a HOLY 10T. Someones old lightened racer.

OK. I'm done. Until the next one shows up :)

e.
DahlELama
Yeah... I'm that stupid.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

That does it. I'm going to open a hobby shop and just sit back and wait for the cars to come to me! :lol: :lol:
Oh wait, I guess I have to have something to start the shop with...drat!
Gary

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

MAKE YOUR HOBBY STORE OWNERS YOUR BEST FRIEND....Buy from the stores instead of mail ordering ...Then these guys will call you When these cool rigs show up.... :mrgreen:

paNX2K&SE-R

Post by paNX2K&SE-R »

Wow you are building a very impressive collection of original cars, I love it.

dahlelama
Approved Member

Post by dahlelama »

OK these aren't all RC10's but I'm gonna continue this post with an update... Hope nobody objects. I'll post things in their proper place (suggestions?) moving forward. Apologies up front some pics are big (lightweight though).

More RCH Rescues to report....

A friend of mine called me from a hobbyshop in North Idaho and txt'd me some pics of an onroad car
with RC10 parts for sale. I didn't know what it was but the price was right (dirt cheap). This is
what it turned out to be. Complete Andy's RC10 Mid Motor Conversion. I need to find out some more on
this because I don't know anything about them. Very cool...

Did some horse tradin' to get this DS. Traded a really nice 1st gen RC10GT tub truck for it.

Never really had any interest in these. But this one is just awesome. Like new and powered by Kyosho
Magnetic Madness motors and a pair of Novak 610esc's. Front and rear independent servos for the
steering (front and rear). I call it "Clodbusta' Hillbilly Deluxe Edition"

Wild Willy M38. I've had this one for about a year but I had just jammed it in a box and forgot about
it. I finally found the parts on eBay to put the front end back together. Need one passenger side
upper shock stay to finish it. The one on there now is cracked. I dig this little guy...

Same guy I got the Clod from had this perfect Kyosho Sideways. He came in looking to see if I was
interested in buying a NIB unbuilt ROBBE Unlimited Hydroplane with a pair of new AstroFlite motors and
a Novak 816 esc (everything was new in the package). Hydros are another weakness of mine but when he
said he had this Sideways I told him make me a package deal and I'll take it all. I'll get back to
that ROBBE Hydro kit here in a sec....

Kyosho Pro Power motor (red machined end bell) and a TEKIN Titan ESC. Futaba Magnum JR radio.
Everything works!

So... I knew the bosslady was gonna kill me so I decided that maybe I could offset the spend I did on
the Clod, Sideways and Hydro by just selling the hydro. I listed it on a boat forum and of course got
ridiculous low ball offers on it. No... Nope.... Negative ... Are you kidding? And then the offers to
trade started coming in. Now... I needed the bucks so that I didnt get skinned alive for picking all
this gear up so I wasnt too interested in trades but I wanted to see what folks put on the table. I
get a PM from a guy in Virgina who has an "Old Tamiya" that he built with his son but his son never
had much interest in it. He sent me pics and low and behold it wasnt a Tamiya.... he had one of my
"holy grail' vehicles... a Marui Samurai. Marui was my first RC car way back when and is what started
all this for me. I guess I better sell the clod because I made the trade and this gem showed up
yesterday.... I'll gladly take the beating I have coming from bosslady because this is a keeper!

1/16" thick wood skidplate. Sweet! everything underneath it is in perfect shape. Not a scratch!

And that's my story....

e.
DahlELama
Yeah... I'm that stupid.