-- RC Collect -- Doug Carter Style

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

-- RC Collect -- Doug Carter Style

Post by mrlexan »

I am going to call on Doug to post a number of pics of some of his cars and specifically his paint work. I was looking at some of the pics here and dirtoval, and it sparked my interest. What I saw was top quality paint work. Doug? Any chance I (we) can see some of your paint work? Thanks in advance.

Jay

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

From what I've seen of his cars here and on d.o.d.c. he does great work. I would also really like to see if he has any pics of an in-progress body with the masking methods he uses for those complex paint schemes.
Anthony

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Ok, twist my arm... I never said I wasn't a photo whore. :D Sorry for the d-load blast... they are all on my server, so the speeds should be ok from my end. A lot tend to look similar, because I rarely paint for anyone other than myself anymore. Time, patience, time and a few other reasons keep me from doing more for others, but I do take on special requests every once in a while. ;)

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

Man I need to get me some talent like that :!: 8) I can really appreciate this level of skill, I know how difficult I find it to complete even a simple paint scheme, awesome stuff Eau Rouge.
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Doug, I second Anthony's suggestion of some "how to's".... simple stuff like tape used, tape skill used, paint used, etc.

Nice stuff! Glad I twisted your arm.

Are the Lowenbrau stickers the old 1/10 Parma set for the Holbert 62?

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

AWESOME :!: very nice job Doug, I'll call you golfinger from now...

by the way, what are those front arms on your B4? Never saw them anywhere.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Awesome. I especially like that "swirl" design, the pic where there is just the body and no car, that's a cool design I haven't seen on a car before, and I like the skulls a lot too. For those two, did you just dry brush those designs and then spray the background? I might have to borrow a few of your ideas. Very nice work. 8)

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

they look like the delrin arms that some companies sell, i can probably find a link somewhere on rc10b4.com if i looked there.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

mrlexan wrote:Are the Lowenbrau stickers the old 1/10 Parma set for the Holbert 62?
Yup. I have one more set. It's being saved for a Holbert 1/12th scale replica for one of the old Deltas.

Asso_man! wrote:by the way, what are those front arms on your B4? Never saw them anywhere.
Machined Delrin. Got them from a guy in Michigan who was making them and selling them through eBay and a thread on rctech.net. I think they were like $25, but don't let the "indestructible" description fool you. I have one left...

MelvinsArmy wrote:For those two, did you just dry brush those designs and then spray the background?
The XX4 "skulls" was a vinyl stencil I made. I drew the skulls using an airbrush template as a source, then scanned the art, traced it in Illustrator, then cut the template out of Avery masking vinyl on a plotter. I applied the weeded stencil to the inside of the body and fogged the exposed area with dark candy red SpazStix anodize paint. Pulled the stencil off and sprayed straight red behind it. Stupid simple.

The 2-color B3 body was a bit more complicated and easily one of the more difficult bodies I've EVER painted. It was Liquid Masked and a pattern was drawn on the outside with Sharpie. The design was inspired by 19th century stained glass. The stems were all hand cut with an X-acto knife. The colors are straight 100% red and red + a few drops of candy purple to darken the stems.

I had started a paint challenge on a forum of "painters" to do something hyper creative with only 2 colors and no fades, and none of them could handle it. All they did was complain and say how stupid the idea was. That B3 body was a result of my effort in the challenge, and not a single person recognized how much effort was in that body. :( It was disappointing, to say the least, and was the last time I ever ventured into any of those "painter" forums.

I'll have to put something together on paint tips. I've been wanting to do that for a while, and never had enough patience to do two things at once. I have a ProMod drag body that needs paint—I'll have to put something together for you guys. I've been doing it since 1983... I've picked up a few things over the years. ;)

:D

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Eau Rouge wrote:
Yup. I have one more set. It's being saved for a Holbert 1/12th scale replica for one of the old Deltas.
Got a body for it, I assume? You said 1/12, but yet the Parma sheet is 1/10. I AM going to (that is CAPITAL AM GOING TO) do a proper 1/12 sheet for Al's 62...... I think out of all the bodies I have, I have more 62s/56s then anything else, followed by every 35 I could muster (still missing some).

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Nope, I don't have either 1/10th or 1/12th for it. Been kind of holding that one on the back burner for a while.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

PM sent...........

noony
Approved Member

Post by noony »

mikedealer wrote:they look like the delrin arms that some companies sell, i can probably find a link somewhere on rc10b4.com if i looked there.
A good frind of mine makes these thanks to me and a few others 8) I have been running them on my x-6 and my home made tc3bj 4x4 :lol: and have yet to brake one all though i have broken alot of b4 and bj4 HD arms on the 4x4 before running these.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Doug, wow, that's impressive. I think you put more time and effort in to preparing to paint the body than I put in painting, trimming and mounting the body. It shows too, you're bodies are awesome. I am a painter (the oil on canvas kind) but for whatever reason, I've never had the patience to try to do a really awesome lexan paint job. Here's a pic of the body I think I got the most ambitious with.
Attachments
bug paint.jpg
bug paint.jpg (155.22 KiB) Viewed 2589 times
bug paint.jpg
bug paint.jpg (155.22 KiB) Viewed 2589 times

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

Oh My God! That ART! I like especially the skulls! Never got a hand on airbrushes. This post really inspired me to paint with airbrushes. Mine's been sitting in my store for decades, which I've won during a Tamiya mini 4WD races... :lol: