Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :)

The place for all things Nichimo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple
Approved Member

Re: Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :)

Post by silvertriple »

This morning, before my working day, I just took teh time to create a shock file, include the rear shocks of the Midships, and do a copy as new to derivate the front one with the very few dims requiring modification... And added to the chassis...

That was quite quick, after that I closed Fusion 360, and reopened it after my day of work to deal with the transmission... I had to modify the center shaft and that's all for the front gearbox.

For the rear gearbox, I had the center diff and rear diff, but both shafts from the Midships required modification. It was also the case of the center shaft.

Once the diff to diff part was done, I focused on the rest... pinion and spur gear... And I discovered an expected issue.

The potential .5mm mistake was marked in my notebook, and was quickly corrected.

Once that was done, I added the servo saver and steering rods...

And I also added the dogbones and review the camber sligthly... And it is done.

Tomorrow I will have to tear down the Cosmo Shooter to get the last parts to model for this set of chassis...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

As soon as my work day was other, it was week-end :-)
And operations started with the objective to move the Comso Shooter in Fusion360... My target is to have this car chassis done before the end of the week :-)

The Luminous is in much better state than this Cosmo Shooter...

The front cell is actually a steering servo box. And the front shock tower is also different from the Luminous... There is part you don't see here which is also different : the part that is used to support the 2 servos on the Luminous is replaced in the case of the Cosmo Shooter by a single servo support... I did not unmount it, it was a nightmare to do : I did not want to remove all the screws tonight (I will have to do this for sur tomorrow as I will need to get the transmission down.

I decided to start by what I thought could be complex...

But it turned to be very simple : lot of the elements are shared with the 4WD front gearbox so it is really easy to derivate it from there...

And the right side shortly followed...

The front shock tower is using some of the sketches of the 4WD, and it was again super esay to do (having the basis means that once you've done the checks, you don't do measures anymore)...

I then started a chassis assembly with the common parts... i had already the rear cage variant, as the 4WD is the 2WD rear cage plus the wing support.

The servo support was measured in place (it's actually difficult to do this way, but many measure can be derived from the 4WD version :-)

And I also did the front axles and the wheels...

What's left to have the Cosmo Shooter completed :
- transmission : there a spur gear inside the gearbox I need to model. The rest is something I already have somewhere. For this spur gear, and the axle it is on, I have no choice I need to get the car in parts...
- the assembly itself

I don't know if I'll be able to work on it tomorrow. If so, it may take a bit of time to get the car in parts first. But if I have the time, I may be able to do it very quickly :-)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

That's a really novel idea of putting the servo into the empty space of the transmission casing . I keep looking at the chassis frame , it looks fragile , if you compare it to the Frog or even the Samurai it looks very skeletal .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:38 am That's a really novel idea of putting the servo into the empty space of the transmission casing . I keep looking at the chassis frame , it looks fragile , if you compare it to the Frog or even the Samurai it looks very skeletal .
Well... yes, it looks fragile... But so far, among the cars I saw, I never saw a broken chassis on a Luminous or a Cosmo Shooter, probably thanks to the highly flexible arms :-)

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Today, I had one thing in mind when waking up : finish the CAD model of the Cosmo Shooter...

Started by removing some screws to get down to the transmission... I had to untight some of the screws in the middle chassi to give some space to remove the gearbox...

And then few others screws later, I had the parts I need to finish the model...

That is simple enough : the gear has logically the same number of teeth than the spur gear of the LSD (limited Slip Differential)... I knew that, but I needed it in hands to be able to model it properly, and anyway, I could have guessed the length of the axis, but it is better to model it to check the model (again :-) ). It did not take long, however...

Then I focused back on the assembly, starting by the gearbox...

And after some work involving joints (many joints), we have a Comso Shooter chassis...

And then I put the two chassis together...

I'll have to do some test prints before I can get those two cars having other adventures...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I generally love the box art technical diagrams and pics... Having a CAD model of a full car allows to play a bit with what you can show...

2WD transmission focus

4WD transmission focus

Limited Slip Differential focus. Those who have read my 443WDS thread may have already seen this... But I tried to make it different, so it is easier to see the round-squared bevel gears...

And finally a picture with all my virtual Nichimos...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Last night, I took a time lapse...
https://youtu.be/raZzyoqrUGM

And this morning, I had a few parts to test...

Let's start by the chassis...
Seems it's a match :-). Holes are in correspondance. Dims are right, and it's a profile match...

Then gearboxes... I want to make sure that key holes are in correspondance with the chassis, and that the inside of the gearbox is matching the original one. There might be things not matching on the profile, but that won't be an issue as not impacting with what is around.

Rear gearbox first...
Key holes are rightly positioned. The front top is not lined up but it doesn't impact anything. The full gearbox is currently dropin, but it can not work with the original other side. I may try to get the profil right, but It maybe a lot of rework, as there is no easy way to get the profile being done... The cap is right, and that was important to make sure about the transmission.

Front gearbox then...
Same situation are the rear gearbox. Every key holes are rightly positioned to ensure the chassis geometry. And the full gearbox is drop in with chassis...

I'm asking myself if I should try to match up exactly the original parts. It works as drop in assembly, but not as drop in part...
The 2WD front cell being based on the same measurement, it should be the same. Not even sure it is worth to test.

I'll have to think about this before making a decision...

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:35 am Last night, I took a time lapse...
https://youtu.be/raZzyoqrUGM

And this morning, I had a few parts to test...

Let's start by the chassis...
Seems it's a match :-). Holes are in correspondance. Dims are right, and it's a profile match...

Then gearboxes... I want to make sure that key holes are in correspondance with the chassis, and that the inside of the gearbox is matching the original one. There might be things not matching on the profile, but that won't be an issue as not impacting with what is around.

Rear gearbox first...
Key holes are rightly positioned. The front top is not lined up but it doesn't impact anything. The full gearbox is currently dropin, but it can not work with the original other side. I may try to get the profil right, but It maybe a lot of rework, as there is no easy way to get the profile being done... The cap is right, and that was important to make sure about the transmission.

Front gearbox then...
Same situation are the rear gearbox. Every key holes are rightly positioned to ensure the chassis geometry. And the full gearbox is drop in with chassis...

I'm asking myself if I should try to match up exactly the original parts. It works as drop in assembly, but not as drop in part...
The 2WD front cell being based on the same measurement, it should be the same. Not even sure it is worth to test.

I'll have to think about this before making a decision...
If the original internal parts fit in your gearbox's , they fit the chassis and you are offering them free then as long as mention it in the description that they won't fit with original gearbox halves then it's only your own OCD that you have to satisfy ....... :? Don't think I could do it but I sell my parts so it's different , when people are paying I feel it's got to be right , a lot of free download parts are barely functional ......
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

This is also what I think... And yes, some of the free files are barely functional, clearly... I do try to do better than just barely functionnal :-)
But here, in this case, I'm not sure it makes sense to do more than what I have as the difference are not impacting around...

And I'm still unsure what I'll do with those parts yet... I see people asking about when I'll upload them somewhere time to times, but not so sure due to recent events...

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Your good at this ,if I were you I'd have no problem selling the parts you copy and you put the work into it , my feeling has always been to only add a modest profit on my Shapeways shop , typically £2.50 to £3.50 per part , I wish a cheaper print service worked in the same way as Shapeways though .

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

And I just published the files on Printables and Thingiverse... Cults3D will follow soon...
https://www.printables.com/model/450905-plastic-parts-for-nichimo-luminous-and-cosmoshoote

I still need to test the differential parts, this may require a packaging similar as the one I did for the Marui 2WD, so it's on hold for the time being... I'm yet to decide what to do with it...